To my cytology I students, this post could help you somewhere, somehow, sometime in your coming exam..it’s about the characteristics of a satisfactory and unsatisfactory PAP smear.
- Indicates the specimen can provide useful information.
- The cells from the transformation zone are present (squamous and endocervical cells).
- No or partially obscuring blood (that allow interpretation of 50 – 75% of the epithelial cells).
- No or minimal contaminants.
- No or minimal air drying artifact.
Indicates the specimen is unreliable for the detection
of cervical epithelial abnormalities.
The slide is not properly prepared, broken or unlabeled.
Scant (inadequate) epithelial component.
Absence of cells from transformation zone.
Presence of blood, inflammatory debris or air drying (which prevents interpretation of approximately 75% of the smear)
I wish you all the best and good luck!